The previous post showed the beginnings of our restoration work on this JD. Here is an update on the progress.
Tanks are primed and ready for paint and finders are on frame.
This 1940 Flathead UL motor used to belong to a good friend of ours, Robert Dail. He purchased it in 1970. We originally re-built the engine in 1971. It changed hands a few times and we were able to buy it back and are now rebuilding it again 40+ years later. Here are some photos of the finished motor and a video of the initial start-up on our run-stand.
This is the initial start-up a motor we built for one of our customers.
We built Gary’s engine and transmission 10 years ago. He was going to assemble the bike, but ran out of time. So, he brought it to our shop for us to assemble. We put the motor on the run stand, which can be seen in the video below. Everything was fine, so we started assembling the bike. Here are some of the restoration photos.
Mr. Ken Smith and his wife, owners of S&S Cycle, were in Phoenix and stopped by the shop for a visit. We had a great time visiting and they enjoyed a tour of our shop. Hope to see them again in the future.
We did some searching around our shop and ran across these uncirculated, early ’80s, S&S brochures and catalog. It was a great find!