Ron’s 1936 VLH Steve McQueen bike is finally complete. It came to us needing engine, transmission, and chassis work. After rebuilding the engine, we ran it on our run-stand as you can see in previous posts here and here. Now it is all together and running down the road. We are putting a few miles on it before Ron picks it up. We think he will be pleased with the results.
We are continuing to work on Ron’s 1936 VLH and we now have the engine completed. The pictures and video below are from the first new engine start-up on our engine stand.
The carburetor has been nickel-plated and reassembled as per original.
You can see the first part of Ron’s story here.
Ron bought this 1936 VLH at the Steve McQueen auction in Las Vegas and has been trying to put it together. He brought it to us to finish a few things, and we found some problems with the motor. So, we pulled the engine out and found that it needed to be rebuilt completely. These are some of the process pictures up to this point. It is currently on the bench for final assembly.
We have slowly but surely been working on Dennis’ Indian. Here are a few picture updates. You can see the first part of Dennis’ restoration story here.
Currently, the sheet metal is straightened, primed, and is ready for paint. The engine is going together. These are some shots of the machine work being done. Our next steps will be fitting the sheet metal to the frame, rebuilding the transmission, and refurbishing the wheels.
This is Chris V.’s 1947 Kuncklehead partial restoration. We are rebuilding the motor and transmission and installing it in his chassis. We are also installing new handlebars as well as replacing his aftermarket tanks with original ones. After all the changes are made the final step will be painting to match.
This is the first time the engine ran after restoration.
We are making headway on Mike’s 1948 Indian Chief. The engine is balanced and blueprinted. We put all new gears in the transmission, including mainshaft and countershaft. The engine and transmission are joined together and installed in the frame. We also did the the last sheet metal fitting to make sure that there are no issues or extra holds and that it all fits perfectly prior to painting. Mike chose red and cream; he likes to refer to it as red and vanilla. Much thanks to Dave at The Shop in Ventura California. He is a long time friend and Indian guru.
This is Buddy’s 1947 Knucklehead restoration that we completed. This is one of several motorcycles that we have restored or worked on for Buddy. We worked on this project for about two years off and on between other projects for Buddy and other customers. The bike is painted Skyway Blue (one of three original colors offered that year). We were very pleased with the way it turned out, as was Buddy.
Below is a video of one of the initial tests we did on the engine on our run-stand.
We test ride our bike projects several times before the customer picks it up.
Dennis brought his 1946 Indian to us this last summer for a full restoration. It was a complete bike but was fully disassembled. These pictures show some of the process that the bike is currently going through as we begin our restoration. The frame and finders have been sandblasted in preparation for bodywork and paint. We have cleaned the frame, removing all non-original pieces, and we have gone though most of the parts to see what is good and what is still needed. We will post more updates as we continue working on this bike.